I believe the following things to be true:
- Being gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender is neither a choice nor a disorder.
- Human sexuality is fluid, and it is normal for sexual/affectional preference to change many times over the lifespan.
- It is also normal for sexual orientation to remain static over the lifespan.
- Human sexuality exists on a continuum, and it is normal to be at any place on the spectrum at any time.
- Sexual behavior is not always synonymous with sexual orientation or self-identity.
- Questioning one’s sexuality at any point in life is normal.
- Some people’s gender identity is non-binary, which means it does not neatly fit into cultural expectations of “masculine” or “feminine.”
- Sexual behavior among consenting adults is not a moral issue.
- Being disinterested in sex, identifying as asexual or aromantic, whether periodically or across a lifespan, is on the spectrum of normal.
- People have the right to self-identify and to have their identity be respected by their mental health provider.